Home >> Uncategorized >> Indian domestic traffic surges 18% to 42 million for the first ten months of 2010

Indian domestic traffic surges 18% to 42 million for the first ten months of 2010

Domestic air traffic in India surged a whopping 18.3% to almost 42 million for the first ten months of the year compared to 35.5 million for the same period last year. For the month of October which marks the start of the peak travel period third quarter of the fiscal, the growth was 16.3% to 4.62 million compared to October 2009 when traffic was 3.91 million.

The break-up for airlines measured in lakhs (hundred thousand) is:
Air India – 8.16 lakhs, Jet Airways –8.70 lakhs, Jet Lite – 3.43 lakhs, Kingfisher – 8.77 lakhs, Spice Jet – 6.30 lakhs, Go Air – 3.06 lakhs, IndiGo – 7.75 lakhs.

The share percentage is:
Jet Airways – 18.8%, Jet Lite – 7.4% (combined 26.2%)
Kingfisher – 19.0%
Air India – 17.7%
IndiGo – 16.8%
SpiceJet – 13.6%
Go Air – 6.6%.

Growth in capacity measured in Available Seat Kilometres (ASKM) lagged growth in demand measured in Revenue Passenger Kilometres (RPKMs) 11.5% vs 18%. With the exception of market leader Jet Airways, national carrier Air India, and low fare GoAir, all domestic airline recorded seat factor above 80%.

Air India – 70.8%, Jet Airways – 73.6%, JetLite – 80.7%, Kingfisher Airlines – 87.1%, Spice Jet – 84.4%, Go Air –77.4% and IndiGo – 86.1%.

More detailed reports can be read here and here.

About Devesh Agarwal

A electronics and automotive product management, marketing and branding expert, he was awarded a silver medal at the Lockheed Martin innovation competition 2010. He is ranked 6th on Mashable's list of aviation pros on Twitter and in addition to Bangalore Aviation, he has contributed to leading publications like Aviation Week, Conde Nast Traveller India, The Economic Times, and The Mint (a Wall Street Journal content partner). He remains a frequent flier and shares the good, the bad, and the ugly about the Indian aviation industry without fear or favour.

Check Also

Jet Airways' Boeing 737-800 VT-JBD

Why Jet Airways is critical to Boeing’s India presence

Indian aviation continues to show tremendous aviation potential with growth forecast to be in the …

Spicejet Boeing 737-800 VT-SPL "Cardamom"

SpiceJet Q3FY19 results analysis: challenges remain

SpiceJet, reported its third quarter results of the fiscal year 2018-19 (FY19) this Monday. There …