New Delhi is famous for it’s winter fog which wreaks havoc on all transport especially air travel. To minimize inconvenience to passengers and ensure continuity of operations during poor visibility conditions at IGI Airport, Delhi International Airport (P) Limited (DIAL) has initiated several proactive measures.
- At the domestic airport, the traffic circulation plan has been modified as a result of which vehicular traffic for departure and arrival terminals is separated. This allows traffic to flow smoothly and prevents congestion. The approach road to the international terminal is also being widened and resurfaced.
- A new car park has been commissioned at the domestic terminal which augments the airport’s capacity to cater to additional vehicles. In addition, the car park at Terminal 2 has also been expanded.
- DIAL has deployed additional Customer Service staff inside and outside the terminals to assist the passengers throughout the winter season.
- Additional Flight Information Displays have been installed inside and outside the terminals to keep the passengers updated on flight status.
- Commissioning of the new domestic departure terminal 1D with spacious check-in concourse, in-line baggage handling system, capacious security hold area and various passenger amenities.
- Terminal 1D passenger capacity is far greater than the old domestic departure Terminal 1B. Further, the terminal has multiple food and beverage outlets, rest and recreation options which would minimize inconvenience to passengers during flight disruptions owing to poor visibility.
- Terminal 1C – Domestic Arrivals was also extended to provide additional capacity together with external large canopy area encompassing food and beverage, pharmacy, ATMs and souvenir shops.
- Out of the 3 runways, two runways have been provided with Category IIIB Instrument Landing System allows compatible aircraft and trained pilots to land even when the Runway Visual Range (RVR) is up to 50 meters. IGIA is the only airport in India to feature CAT IIIB ILS.
- The upgrade works of Runway 27/09 have also been completed and during the winter season, IGIA will have all the 3 runways equipped with Instrument Landing System available for operation.
- 55 parking bays, including 36 at the domestic aircraft apron have been provided with CATIII compatible lighting systems. Modifications carried out during the recent past have provided additional number taxi routings to ease aircraft movement and prioritize the movement of CATIII enabled aircraft.
Flight information and call centres
The IGI Airport Call Centre is available to provide prompt information to passengers. The Call Centre Number is +91 124 337-6000
An advanced Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System is also available which would provide Live Flight Information. The numbers are
Domestic flights call +91 11 2566-2275
International flight call +91 11 2560-2999
Live flight status is also being made available on the airport’s website.