New Delhi Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) met its first fog challenge on 10th December, with zero impact on flights. As per a DIAL release there were zero diversions, re-schedules, or cancellations.
As per procedure, Safeguard procedures were initiated when Runway Visual Range (RVR) fell below 1,500 meters, at 0458 local on morning of 10 December. Low Visibility Procedure (LVP) was implemented when RVR fell to 850 meters at 0703 hours. 3 hours and 42 minutes later the LVP was terminated when RVR improved to 1,200 meters.
Runway 28-10 was used for both landing and take-off operations.
The technical details for aviation buffs like me:
- Runway in use: 28/10 (Arrivals and Departures)
- Safeguard procedure initiated: 0458 hrs, 10/Dec/2008 (RVR 1500m)
- LVP implemented: 0703 hrs, 10/Dec/2008 (RVR 850 m)
- LVP terminated: 1045 hrs, 10/Dec/2008 (RVR 1200 m) (Duration: 3 hrs 42 min.)
- Safeguard procedure terminated: 1140 hrs, 10/Dec/2008 (RVR 1500m)
- Total flights operated during LVP: 111 (96 domestic and 15 international flights)
- Total Number of flights diverted: NIL
- Flights rescheduled today: NIL
- Flights cancelled today: NIL
Delhi International Airport Ltd. (DIAL) the airport operator has taken steps to minimise the impact of fog and low visibility on flight operations and enhance passenger experience :
- The temporary kerbside extension of Terminal 1B has been replaced with a permanent structure and provided with heating, Additional seating ,and flight information display system. An additional seating area is also being provided for those seeing off their friends and family.
- A parallel wing now houses more space for check – in and baggage X-ray for passengers. This extension has been added to the Low Cost Carrier Wing of Terminal 1B.
- DIAL has also deployed specially trained Customer Service Staff to provide assistance & information to passengers. Additional car parking facility has been provided at IGI airport.
- The domestic arrival terminal has also been renovated and expanded. A portion of the renovated area has already been opened along with a large canopy for friends and family. In addition separate exit routes have been provided for the benefit of passengers availing pre-paid taxis.
- A brand new wing in the Security Hold Area of Terminal 1B was commissioned. The new seating area has 150 seats which are sufficient to cater to the load of one complete flight Additional F&B outlets have opened across the passenger terminals. These outlets are operated by leading F&B brands.
- An increased number of payphones and coin operated booths have been added at IGI Airport to help passengers.
- 55 aircraft parking bays have been provided with CAT III compatible lighting systems. Additions carried out over the last year have provided additional number taxi routings to smoothen aircraft movement and prioritize the movement of CAT III enabled aircraft.
- IGI Airport has augmented it’s call centre (+91 11 2566-1080) which will share the updated flight information and airlines’ contacts numbers.
- Special booklets with information on fog and do’s and don’ts for passengers and airline numbers are also being circulated.